wiki:Research/DesignStudy/Meetings/2019/11-12

LhARA pre-CDR Meeting 12th Nov 2019

Meeting details

14:00 Room 532, Blackett Lab.

Zoom details:

Join Zoom Meeting https://ukri.zoom.us/j/865262978

Phone one-tap: United Kingdom: +442034815237,,865262978# or +442039663809,,865262978#

Join by Telephone For higher quality, dial a number based on your current location.

United Kingdom:

+44 203 481 5237
+44 203 966 3809
+44 131 460 1196
+44 203 051 2874

Meeting ID: 865 262 978

Join from an H.323/SIP room system H.323: 162.255.37.11 (US West) 162.255.36.11 (US East) 221.122.88.195 (China) 115.114.131.7 (India) 213.19.144.110 (EMEA) 103.122.166.55 (Australia) 209.9.211.110 (Hong Kong) 64.211.144.160 (Brazil) 69.174.57.160 (Canada) 207.226.132.110 (Japan) Meeting ID: 865 262 978

International numbers https://ukri.zoom.us/u/ap9aBI2Eh

SIP: 865262978@…
Skype for Business (Lync) https://ukri.zoom.us/skype/865262978
Skype on a SurfaceHub SIP: 865262978@… https://ukri.zoom.us/skype/865262978

Agenda

  • Schedule and key dates.
  • LhARA_parameter_list.pdf
  • System updates.
    • Laser driven proton and ion source.
    • Proton and ion capture.
    • Stage 1 beam transport: Beam transport and delivery to the in vitro end station.
    • Stage 2 beam transport: Post-acceleration and beam delivery to the in vivo end station.
    • Biological end stations.
    • Infrastructure and Integration.
    • Project plan for the delivery of LhARA.
    • Safety.
    • End-to-end simulation.
    • Instrumentation.
  • A.O.B.

Notes

Present: Ajit Kurup, Ken Long, Jason Parsons, Tim Greenshaw, Juergen Pozimski, Galen, Aymar, Ruth McLauchlan, Colin Whyte, Peter Ratoff, Will Shields

  • Schedule
    • JPo: Need to clarify the interfaces as there is overlap in the components, e.g. Gabor lens in the capture and beam line.
    • CW: Need to discuss target location with respect to the first Gabor lens.
    • JPo: Spoke with Zulfikar re debris, differential pumping, etc. Will set up another meeting including CW.
  • Floor plan layout
    • AK: Has someone been assigned to do the CAD drawings and do we have access to the previous drawings?
      • GA: Someone will be assigned soon to do the CAD drawings and the previous drawings are in RAL's database.
    • KL: best not to update the drawing for the end of November as details won't be fixed.
      • JPo: better to make a list of changes.
    • AK: Want to raise the issue of animal holding facilities and whether an on-site facility is needed (which would require a separate floor).
    • JPar: Need some on-site facilities, e.g. holding facilities, but should consider how much space is needed.
    • Following some discussion, it was decided that an animal house should not be included in the plans for LhARA but a holding facility will be needed. The size of this is to be determined taking into account the scope of the proposed radiobiology programme.
    • AK to ask ZN and OE to specify total footprint of the laser and shielding requirements.
  • Parameter table
    • JPo: Parameters in the table will define the physical geometry of the Gabor lens and the nominal operating voltage. This is sufficient info to generate a field map (for tracking).
      • KL: What about alternative technologies, i.e. solenoids.
      • Following some discussion, it was decided that the equivalent solenoid field strength and lengths of the solenoids should be included in the parameter table.
    • Beam transport
      • Details in the parameter table should define the input and output beam.
      • AK to discuss with JPas.
    • Stage 2 needs to include another end station (also define the input and output beams).
    • End stations - JPar.
      • 30mm beam size would be better than 10mm.
        • AK: to follow up with JPas.
      • Platform and robot for multiple irradiations.
      • Clatterbridge experiments can go through 130 dishes at a time.
  • Status updates
    • Proton capture - JPo
      • COMSOL needed for the EM simulation of the Gabor lens.
      • Would be good to also do the plasma simulation in COMSOL.
      • AK got a quote from COMSOL. Looking into options for reducing the cost.
    • Beam transport - WS
      • GPT studies to verify tracking with and without space charge.
  • Instrumentation
    • PPD will provide input to this.
    • For the baseline, include a statement of the need for diagnostics and how they will be used, e.g. during commissioning and running.
  • AOB
    • KL: Steering group set up. Will have SG meetings.
      • Add SG meetings to the wiki.

Action Items

  • JPo, CW, ZN and OE to meet to discuss details at the laser/proton capture interface.
  • AK to update the interfaces documents to clarify areas where there are overlaps in the components.
  • AK to clarify on the wiki what needs to be delivered for 29/11/19.
  • AK to ask ZN and OE to specify total footprint of the laser and shielding requirements.
  • AK to add solenoid details (from the GPT input file) to the parameter list document.
  • AK to discuss with JPas what parameters should go in the parameter table for the beam transport.
  • AK to note the instrumentation requirements for the definition of the baseline.
  • AK to add details of the steering group meetings to the wiki.
Last modified 2 years ago Last modified on Nov 15, 2019 1:51:02 PM

Attachments (1)

Download all attachments as: .zip