LhARA pre-CDR Meeting 17th Dec 2019

Meeting details

14:00 Room 532, Blackett Lab.

Zoom details:

Join Zoom Meeting

Phone one-tap: United Kingdom: +442034815237,,865262978# or +442039663809,,865262978#

Join by Telephone For higher quality, dial a number based on your current location.

United Kingdom:

+44 203 481 5237
+44 203 966 3809
+44 131 460 1196
+44 203 051 2874 0800 031 5717

Meeting ID: 865 262 978

Join from an H.323/SIP room system H.323: (US West) (US East) (China) (India) (EMEA) (Australia) (Hong Kong) (Brazil) (Canada) (Japan) Meeting ID: 865 262 978

International numbers

SIP: 865262978@…
Skype for Business (Lync)
Skype on a SurfaceHub SIP: 865262978@…


  • Action items from last meeting.
    • JPar to look into spot scanning beam specs for in vivo experiments.
    • AK to prepare a wiki page for simulation.
  • System updates.
    • Laser driven proton and ion source.
    • Proton and ion capture.
    • Stage 1 beam transport: Beam transport and delivery to the in vitro end station.
    • Stage 2 beam transport: Post-acceleration and beam delivery to the in vivo end station.
    • Biological end stations.
    • Infrastructure and Integration.
    • Project plan for the delivery of LhARA.
    • Safety.
    • End-to-end simulation.
    • Instrumentation.
  • A.O.B.

Present: JT, GA, WS, KL, AK, CW Apologies: JPas


  • Previous action items
    • JPar to look into spot scanning beam specs for in vivo experiments.
      • Stands.
    • AK to prepare a wiki page for simulation.
  • System updates
    • Proton and ion capture - CW
      • No recent updates. Good to get info from OE and JPas. 2mm aperture in differential pumping plate is not great but have a number of ideas to work around this.
      • Will be in London on 18th Jan and can have a face-to-face meeting around then.
    • Beam transport - WS
      • GPT simulation to improve transmission for bunch charge of 1e9 . Managed to get it up to 20%. Looking at decreasing the initial drift cm by cm to increase the transmission.
      • Electrons will help space charge neutralisation.
      • CW: may get compensation due to poor vacuum in target chamber.
    • Infrastructure - GA and JT.
      • Spoke to Ian, will meet after Christmas and will speak with the engineer who will do the drawings.
      • JT: There is enough detail defined to get going sooner, rather than wait for Feb.
      • GA: looking at costing.
        • AK: Susan Smith offered support.
        • KL: SS mentioned environment and costing was done for the AVO ADAM project.
    • Project plan
      • AK: minor updates to the R&D plan.
      • KL: Made a first draft of the R&D costing for meeting on Thursday with Jim Naismith.
    • Safety
      • GA: no real updates
      • JT: will speak with CLF after Christmas.
    • End-to-end simulation
      • AK: HT working on a 3D input beam derived from the 2D data from the EPOCH simulation.
      • AK: found issues with the GPT simulation. The fringe field of the first dipole causes the beam to be bent through the fringe of the last solenoid causing incorrect bending. Will investigate increasing the drift between them to eliminate the problem.
    • Instrumentation.
      • KL: John Matheson is interested in getting involved. Will meet in Jan to discuss details.
  • AOB
    • KL: Abstracts: applications in Nuclear physics
      • PTCOG submitted.
      • Contact at Munich suggested abstract for BLIN in May.
    • KL: Current candidates for the review panel
      • Yolanda Prezado (Paris) - radiobiology.
      • Paul Bolton (Munich) - laser.
      • Mike Lamont (CERN) - accelerators.
      • Pepe Iyakabuchi - detectors.
    • KL: opportunity to present seminars
      • at DESY, Hamburg on 17th Jan.
      • Zeuthen, Berlin 22 Jan.
    • Next meeting on the 7th.
    • Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

Action Items

  • JPar to look into spot scanning beam specs for in vivo experiments.
Last modified 4 years ago Last modified on Jan 6, 2020 11:01:52 PM