wiki:Research/DesignStudy/SteeringGroup/2020-06-05

LhARA Steering Group meeting #2

5th June 2020 10:00 GMT

Summary of actions

  • KL: Set up series of meetings with leads at partner organisations to discuss preparation of R&D programme.
  • KL/CB: Consider meeting between Imperial (and other) ion-accelerator experts with the relevant experts in CLF.
  • KL/KK to collaborate on the development for a proposal for such a meeting on the timescale of November 2020.
  • KL Send out diary invitation straight away to get it into the diary.
    • Done.

Notes

Present: KL, AK, JPar, KK, RMcl, TG

  1. Notes of last meeting and actions arising:
    • KL: Set up series of meetings with leads at partner organisations to discuss preparation of R&D programme.
      • Stands.
    • KL: Ensure that M.Dosanjh is on the relevant mailing lists and ensure she has the chance to input into the pre-CDR.
      • Done.
    • KL: Take forward the discussion of dedicated diagnostics to advance the state of the art in end-station diagnostics.
      • Agenda item.
    • KL: Bring G.Schettino and NPL into the consortium.
      • Done.
    • KL/CB: Consider meeting between Imperial (and other) ion-accelerator experts with the relevant experts in CLF.
      • Stands.
  1. [raw-attachment:2020-06-05-SGMeeting.pdf​ Project Managers report: AK
    See slides (linked to item heading above). Points noted:
    • The initial radiobiology meeitng was held by all to have been a success. We discussed the roles that it needed to serve including: education for physical scientists in the multidisciplinary team; refresher for the more expert; and teh venue where the LhARA/CCAP team could begin to contribute to the work. KK commented that JPar ha dorganised an excellent meeting with good attendance. She agreed that there was a need for such an initiative and meetings and suggested that it was important that the meeting develop its own distinctive niche. If this did not happen then there was a risk that this would be come "just" another rbio meeting. We discussed the need for it to tie back to LhARA and the experiments/developments to which the team can contribute. JPar agreed.
    • The next rbio meeting is planned for the 19Jun20. At this meeting JPar plans to ask people to make an introduction to their interests and skills.
    • TG, RMcl noted the importance of the educational aspect of the meetings and also the importance of continuing to forge the link between clinical and academic partners. In addition, the aspecgt of modelling the response of tissue to radation needs to be emphasised. In the context of modelling the Manchester (M.Merchant et al) has substantial expertise. At CXH, historically R.Dale had a strong interest.
  1. Discussion of dedicated advanced diagnostics and instrumentation for the in vitro and in vivo end stations: KL/all
    • KK noted existing suppliers, e.g. Extrel, with which the Manchester group is working in the development of the research activity at the Christie. KK has the contacts with industry.
    • TG noted the ambition to work towards gantry-less systems. To do this requires instrumation, imaging, and control. So, work towards the imaging and feedback was important.
    • KK noted that Nigel Alinson, Lincoln, leads proton CT initiative. This needs a small beam current and, since the beams must penetrate, somewhat larger energy.
    • KK end-station development; hypoxia endstation, range verification, proton CT,
    • Dose deposition imaging being investigated using prompt photons. "Photo"-acoustic imaging might be a good technique for LhARA. TG noted that LhARA would also need beam diagnostics etc. and agreed to contact C.Welsch to disucss.
    • TG -- other aspect ... also beam diagnostics and instrumentation. Spin out opportunity.
  1. Proposed new members of the consortium: KL
  1. Taking the programme forward; discussion: All
    • Initial survey of open EPSRC calls
    • JPar: agrees need to discuss how to develop it forward and mentioned we also need to consider MRC, EPSRC, etc.
    • TG: noted the need for "evangelism" to reach out to the UK and overseas communities.
    • We agreed to revisit the composition of the Steering Group seeking to expand representation from the UK and more internationally.
    • We discussed the value of organising a half-day meeting on the opportunities of the LhARA initiative. After discussion we agreed:
      • To work towards a 1/2 day meeting organised under the auspices of:
        • The IoP PAB, HEPP, and MedPhys groups;
        • The CTRAD w/stream (w/s 4) led by KK; and
        • The EPSRC and STFC networks led by KK.
      • We thought that the format of the meeting should be:
        • "Briefing and then discussion", combining information and topics of interest to the various target peer groups.
    • Actions: KL/KK to collaborate on the development for a proposal for such a meeting on the timescale of November 2020.
  1. DONMs
    • 03 Jul 2020; 10:00 BST
    • 04 Sep 2020; 10:00 BST
  • KL Send out diary invitation straight away to get it into the diary.
  1. AoB
    • None.


Agenda:

  1. Notes of last meeting and actions arising:
    • KL: Set up series of meetings with leads at partner organisations to discuss preparation of R&D programme.
      • Stands.
    • KL: Ensure that M.Dosanjh is on the relevant mailing lists and ensure she has the chance to input into the pre-CDR. Done.
    • KL: Take forward the discussion of dedicated diagnostics to advance the state of the art in end-station diagnostics.
      • Agenda item.
    • KL: Bring G.Schettino and NPL into the consortium.
      • Done.
    • KL/CB: Consider meeting between Imperial (and other) ion-accelerator experts with the relevant experts in CLF.
      • Stands.
  1. Project Managers report: AK
  1. Discussion of dedicated advanced diagnostics and instrumentation for the in vitro and in vivo end stations: KL/all
  1. Proposed new members of the consortium: KL
  1. Taking the programme forward; discussion: All
  1. DONMs
    • 03 Jul 2020; 10:00 BST
    • 04 Sep 2020; 10:00 BST
  1. AoB

Last modified 17 months ago Last modified on Jul 2, 2020 10:24:38 AM

Attachments (3)

Download all attachments as: .zip